Tuesday, April 29, 2008

A place for rabbis to receive the Torah -- this summer at Oraita

As I write this, I am sitting at a beautiful retreat center in upstate New York where I have come for a chaplaincy conference. The beautiful setting -- along with the great fellowship and tremendous learning I have found here amid fellow clergy -- remind me of the great learning, setting and fellowship I found at Oraita last October. It was such an incredible time to reconnect with Torah and with colleagues. Great learning!

The folks from Hebew College are doing it again this summer. This time they're bringing in some of the most inspiring names in the Jewish world, including Zalman Schachter-Shalomi, along with the rabbinical school's rector, Art Green. And they've picked a particularly poignant time for pulpit rabbis to take an opportunity to renew their relationship with Torah among colleagues: the week after Shavuot.

Shavuot is the traditional time we celebrate the giving of the Torah itself. Rabbis who have just celebrated this great event with their congregants in the hall of the synagogue with prayer will have the opportunity to reinforce it again with great, in-depth learning among fellow learned peers.

Here is a letter from Art and Zalman about the retreat. I hope you can go!

PS This time, rabbinical students are invited, too! And scholarship money is available.

No comments: