Tuesday, September 08, 2009

How does one go to grad school in NYC from 130 miles away?

Step 1 -- schedule your classes on two days a week (so you only need  to overnight in New York one night a week).



Step 2 -- find the smallest hotel room in New York.



What you see on the right is one of the cabins in the new (old?) Jane Hotel, which was originally built for sailors who were in port and for a long time was one of the very last of the rundown SRO (single room occupancy) hotels in New York for the down-and-out. The rooms are _tiny_ and the bathroom is down the hall, but, at $99 a night (plus tax) and with a Greenwich Village location I had to give it a try.



I'll let you know how it goes!







Here are a couple of more pics:



The 4th floor hallway where I am:










Dual-flush toilet in the bathroom down the hall (I had never seen one in the States before; they are pretty common in Israel, and I suppose in Europe as well).






My pillow!


From The Jane Hotel

No comments: